[plug] Kernel Problems

Matt satyr at iinet.net.au
Fri Aug 18 18:14:31 WST 2000

Hey all,

I was wondering if someone could help me out.

I have recently moved from Windows to Linux. I know enough to get me by, but I admit I am still a Newbie.

The problem is that i tried to recompile my kernel.

I am running Redhat 6.2 with the 2.2.14 kernel.

Firstly I done the usual in the /usr/src directory using the existing source, so there was no need for the new symlink.:
make mrproper
make xconfig.
then chose what I needed.
make dep
make clean

I then tried make zImage, that didn't work, so i tried make bzImage, that didn't work either. so i looked at lilo.conf to see what the default kernel image
is called. "vmlinuz".
so i typed make vmlinux (vmlinux due to a typo i made in there terminal window) and that worked. so then i done
make modules
make modules_install

I then found the new compiled kernel and copied it to /boot and edited lilo.conf.

I was all set, i typed lilo but it said my vmlinux was to big.

I took the usual approach and said bugger it, if i can do what i want to do on linux that is enough for me. Until i installed Vmware 2.0 and hated the
kernel and couldn't find modules for the kernel I had installed, it meant i had to lose network support for vmware, so i thought that's no big deal. Until
i rebooted my linux box sometime later to find that alot of modules (one of which is for my scsi) have gone. I tried recompiling again and it says that it
is missing sound modules.

The i thought if i downloaded the 2.2.16 kernel i can use that instead. i extracted it to /usr/src directory made the new symlink and done the following
again:
make mrproper
make xconfig.
then chose what I needed.
make dep
make clean

and make bzImage worked, it went further than the 2.2.14 kernel but stopped and had "error 1 vmlinux".

The only solution I now have for this problem is to reload RedHat which i don't really want to do because it was one of the reasons i switched to linux.

If anyone can help me it will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance