[plug] Kernel Problems

stephen humble steve at newton.dialix.com.au
Fri Aug 18 18:55:42 WST 2000

Matt wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I was wondering if someone could help me out.
>
> I have recently moved from Windows to Linux. I know enough to get me by, but I admit I am still a Newbie.
>
> The problem is that i tried to recompile my kernel.
>
> I am running Redhat 6.2 with the 2.2.14 kernel.
>
> Firstly I done the usual in the /usr/src directory using the existing source, so there was no need for the new symlink.:
> make mrproper
> make xconfig.
> then chose what I needed.
> make dep
> make clean
>
> I then tried make zImage, that didn't work, so i tried make bzImage, that didn't work either. so i looked at lilo.conf to see what the default kernel image
> is called. "vmlinuz".
> so i typed make vmlinux (vmlinux due to a typo i made in there terminal window) and that worked. so then i done
> make modules
> make modules_install
>
> I then found the new compiled kernel and copied it to /boot and edited lilo.conf.
>
> I was all set, i typed lilo but it said my vmlinux was to big.
>
> I took the usual approach and said bugger it, if i can do what i want to do on linux that is enough for me. Until i installed Vmware 2.0 and hated the
> kernel and couldn't find modules for the kernel I had installed, it meant i had to lose network support for vmware, so i thought that's no big deal. Until
> i rebooted my linux box sometime later to find that alot of modules (one of which is for my scsi) have gone. I tried recompiling again and it says that it
> is missing sound modules.
>
> The i thought if i downloaded the 2.2.16 kernel i can use that instead. i extracted it to /usr/src directory made the new symlink and done the following
> again:
> make mrproper
> make xconfig.
> then chose what I needed.
> make dep
> make clean
>
> and make bzImage worked, it went further than the 2.2.14 kernel but stopped and had "error 1 vmlinux".
>
> The only solution I now have for this problem is to reload RedHat which i don't really want to do because it was one of the reasons i switched to linux.
>
> If anyone can help me it will be greatly appreciated

Make sure your not overclocking your CPU ,during the process of
compiling a kernel you will
be very more likley to experience processor errors otherwise.

Suggest try and compile a kernel with only standard features,
A few tips in the src/linux/Makefile

change the minor number version of the kernel (ie from .5 to .6 or
something )
so you can have 2 seperate sets of modules
and then after rebuilding the kernel do
make modules
make modules_install

You need to move or copy the new kernel from the
src/linux/arch/i386/boot/compressed
directory to the /boot directory , give it a unique name
and i suggst adding a second boot to your lilo.conf file
so you can have the old and new versions fo the kernel you built
available at boot time
ie
see my lilo.conf file - i have 4 versions available to use at boot time

If things gett to stuffed up just use gnorpm to get rid of the kernel
source files
put in your cdrom of redhat and reinstall the linux kernel development
and
source RPM's again ie cd the the RPM's and use
rpm -i
followed by the rpm's you want to reinstall
if it complains use fource ie
rpm -i -f