[plug] Kernel Problems

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Sat Aug 19 13:19:46 WST 2000

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Matt wrote:

> I then tried make zImage, that didn't work, so i tried make bzImage,
> that didn't work either. so i looked at lilo.conf to see what the
> default kernel image is called. "vmlinuz".

Can you please define "didn't work"? - as in error messages etc?

The right command is make bzImage (zImage is being deprecated) so if that
fails you need to find out why.

Also, contrary to popular belief, bzImage has nothing to do with bzip2.
a bzImage is still gzipped.

> I was all set, i typed lilo but it said my vmlinux was to big.

Because lilo expects a bzImage or zImage.

> and make bzImage worked, it went further than the 2.2.14 kernel but
> stopped and had "error 1 vmlinux".

There should be several lines of error messages above that. Can you send
us the last, say 40 lines?

> The only solution I now have for this problem is to reload RedHat which
> i don't really want to do because it was one of the reasons i switched
> to linux.

The other solution is to reinstall the Red Hat kernel package only - no
need to reinstall the whole system

 - Matt