[plug] Re: [plug] modems (was Re: [plug] Gut modem für Linux? [those blinkinglights again])

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Sun Aug 20 11:17:06 WST 2000

G'day,

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 10:30:50AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> > Modem. bear in mind it takes two to tango, and Iinet are not blameless in
> > this area. perhaps they have shares in Telstra. I hope this helps.
> > Incidentally whether you use an internal or external modem it is safe
> > practice to physically disconnect the telephone line when not using the
> > modem.

Although iiNet do occasionally have a faulty modem, or have to reset the
access servers, or kick you off because of congestion, other modem dropouts
are because your modem is not fine-tuned for your conditions. Sure some people
have fantastic telephone lines and never need to change anything, but if
you're getting frequent dropouts I suggest you call iiNet and ask for some
assistance (in setting modem strings).

> How often does the modem drop out?
>
> I understood that the V90 modems were more than the telephone lines
> could handle; that anything above 33600 resulted in frequent dropouts,
> due to line quality.

That's a little unfounded. It depends on the line conditions, the equipment
used and other stuff in between (that Telstra may be using), but the
theoretical maximum is around 56k.

V.90 is a better protocol than 33.6k (v.34+). You may not be able to achieve
56k connection speeds, but most people would be in the 40-48k range, which is
is still a significant advantage over 33.6k.

In Sydney, at Zeta Internet, the average connection speed for 56k modem users
(some 2000) was 48k.

> I have thought about upgrading from 33600, to 56000, but the concern of
> call dropouts caused by the extra speed, has stopped me.

That's why you invest a little time in working out the best connection speed
for your situation. You can force the modem to decrease the mamximum
connection speed from 56k down in 1.333k decrements. At my old place (South
Perth) my modem was happy anywhere up to 50k, in my new place (Como -
neighbouring suburb) I can only connect at a max of 40k (aghhh). Still it's
better than 33.6k and once you find that stable speed the connection will last.

> We are on an old ARE exchange, if that has any influence.

Is it a digital exchange (ie: can you get call waiting and CND etc..)?

> I have a brother in Auckland, who has ADSL, but, from what I have seen
> about it discussed, the pricing, in Australia, makes it too expensive,
> for use by the common man, and, makes 56K modems a much more attractive
> option, if the connections are reliable. It appears that it is one of
> those things that will probably only get to Perth, when the technology
> is outdated, anyway.

ADSL pricing isn't too bad considering the real costs associated with modem
usage:

	     phone line + calls: $17 + 10 / month
	     (assume 2nd line)
	ISP charges (unlimited): $40 / month

			  total: $67 / month

For Telstra's 256k unlimited home usage (and have them as a pre-selected
provider for local/long distance calls) it works out to be $78/month. Since
you won't need the second phone line any longer (ADSL + normal phone service
over the same copper pair) it works out to be a $11 difference per month.
That's something I'm prepared to pay for 256k access!

Plus, it's early days yet - pricing is bound to get more competitive as the
other players bring their product to market.

Later,

Jason Nicholls