[plug] Re: [plug] modems

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Sun Aug 20 13:01:30 WST 2000

Jason Nicholls wrote:

> G'day,
>
> On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 10:30:50AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> > > Modem. bear in mind it takes two to tango, and Iinet are not blameless in
> > > this area. perhaps they have shares in Telstra. I hope this helps.
> > > Incidentally whether you use an internal or external modem it is safe
> > > practice to physically disconnect the telephone line when not using the
> > > modem.
>
> Although iiNet do occasionally have a faulty modem, or have to reset the
> access servers, or kick you off because of congestion, other modem dropouts
> are because your modem is not fine-tuned for your conditions. Sure some people
> have fantastic telephone lines and never need to change anything, but if
> you're getting frequent dropouts I suggest you call iiNet and ask for some
> assistance (in setting modem strings).

While the arrows may indicate it, I would like it understood that, I did
not make the comments about iinet, above.

<snip>

> > We are on an old ARE exchange, if that has any influence.
>
> Is it a digital exchange (ie: can you get call waiting and CND etc..)?

Not as far as I know. It is the 9399 exchange in Armadale. (please, no
comments about the area; I know what it is like; I live here)

> > I have a brother in Auckland, who has ADSL, but, from what I have seen
> > about it discussed, the pricing, in Australia, makes it too expensive,
> > for use by the common man, and, makes 56K modems a much more attractive
> > option, if the connections are reliable. It appears that it is one of
> > those things that will probably only get to Perth, when the technology
> > is outdated, anyway.
>
> ADSL pricing isn't too bad considering the real costs associated with modem
> usage:
>
>              phone line + calls: $17 + 10 / month
>              (assume 2nd line)
>         ISP charges (unlimited): $40 / month
>
>                           total: $67 / month

Pretty good guess - phone bill for that line for June/July: $24; ISP
charges: $110 per quarter -> $37/month; Total $61/month.

> For Telstra's 256k unlimited home usage (and have them as a pre-selected
> provider for local/long distance calls) it works out to be $78/month. Since
> you won't need the second phone line any longer (ADSL + normal phone service
> over the same copper pair) it works out to be a $11 difference per month.
> That's something I'm prepared to pay for 256k access!

The pricing at http://www.telstra.com.au/adsl/price.htm , where a
subscriber does not use telecom for long distance calls, is from $100
per month, upwards, depending on the contract length. This is stated in
the tables under the heading "Minimum cost of contract".

What about the pricing of domain name hosting (I think it is named
virtual hosting)? iinet's rates are not very good, especially when a
person obtains and maintains, registration of a gTLD, independent of the
ISP.

The telecom website about ADSL, indicates that it is permanent
connection. What happens when a connection is terminated, then
re-established? Is that chargeable? From what I understand, permanent
connection is a security hazard. Also, from what I understand,
dynamically allocated IP addresses, are more secure than static IP
addresses, which I assume, would be part of ADSL, if it is permanent
connection. I would think that dynamically allocated IP addresses, are a
bit like a combination of moving targets, and chameleons, to hunters.

> Plus, it's early days yet - pricing is bound to get more competitive as the
> other players bring their product to market.

I suppose, as far as ADSL, and the effects of competition, are
concerned, it is a matter of waiting. At least another 6 months, from
the iinet website.

Oh, and I have just checked; checking on the web page at
http://www.telstra.com.au/adsl/ordering/search.cfm , gives the message
"we have no current plans to provide ADSL to your area".

Similarly, cable is not available outside the eastern states' capital
cities. "If you are in the metropolitan areas of Sydney, Melbourne,
Brisbane or Gold Coast and have a Foxtel connection by cable (not
satellite). Big Pond Advance powered by cable is available to you."

Because telecom regards this as a remote area, the only high speed data
option left, is satellite. For an appropriate connection, giving
400kbps, the Business Sat plan costs $85/month plus several hundred
dollars, to buy the satellite dish, and get it installed. Pretty
expensive.

So, high speed internet access is not an available option in Armadale,
Western Australia, as we are a remote community, as defined by telecom.

Thus, a 56k modem is the only alternative, that is faster than what we
have now.

I guess that it is just a matter of getting a decent 56k external modem,
and, fiddling with it, from what has been said, to find at what speed it
can be effectively operated, with the low quality phone lines in this
remote community.

--

Bret Busby