[plug] modems

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Sun Aug 20 12:27:31 WST 2000

alan howard wrote:

> I recently changed from a 33k modem to a 56k modem and hardly noticed a speed
> increase ( possibly up to 5% faster). is the speed of downloads determined by
> the speed of your connection with your ISP or the speed your ISP connects to
> the www , or  the speed of the server you are connecting to on the other side
> of the world.?

My understanding, is that the maximum speed, in a route, is the speed of
the slowest link; if your ISP is congested, and allowing only 8 bytes
per second, that is all you will get. If it is occurring at the website
that you are accessing, likewise.

And, yes, I have had download speeds of 8 bytes per second, with my
33600 modem, and iinet's 56k modems. It is the same as driving a car;
just because you are driving a million dollar lamborgini, doesn't mean
that you can drive any faster than five kilometres an hour, if you drive
over the narrows bridge in peak traffic.

--

Bret Busby