[plug] Re: [plug] modems

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Sun Aug 20 13:57:55 WST 2000

Hiya,

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 01:01:30PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> While the arrows may indicate it, I would like it understood that, I did
> not make the comments about iinet, above.

No problem, but the same applies for most ISPs.

> > > We are on an old ARE exchange, if that has any influence.
> >
> > Is it a digital exchange (ie: can you get call waiting and CND etc..)?
>
> Not as far as I know. It is the 9399 exchange in Armadale. (please, no
> comments about the area; I know what it is like; I live here)

I'm not familiar with WA so I can't comment ;)

> The pricing at http://www.telstra.com.au/adsl/price.htm , where a
> subscriber does not use telecom for long distance calls, is from $100
> per month, upwards, depending on the contract length. This is stated in
> the tables under the heading "Minimum cost of contract".

Yes, I did fail to mention all the contract terms like length etc...

> What about the pricing of domain name hosting (I think it is named
> virtual hosting)? iinet's rates are not very good, especially when a
> person obtains and maintains, registration of a gTLD, independent of the
> ISP.

I don't know the current pricing.

> The telecom website about ADSL, indicates that it is permanent
> connection. What happens when a connection is terminated, then
> re-established? Is that chargeable?

Well, ADSL is "always on". It may lose sync and have to re-sync up but that
should be transparent (bar a couple moments outage).

> From what I understand, permanent
> connection is a security hazard. Also, from what I understand,
> dynamically allocated IP addresses, are more secure than static IP
> addresses, which I assume, would be part of ADSL, if it is permanent
> connection. I would think that dynamically allocated IP addresses, are a
> bit like a combination of moving targets, and chameleons, to hunters.

I don't know about IP allocation with ADSL. With regards to security, whether
you are permanent or not is no excuse to be lazy about security.

> Oh, and I have just checked; checking on the web page at
> http://www.telstra.com.au/adsl/ordering/search.cfm , gives the message
> "we have no current plans to provide ADSL to your area".

Same situation here, just south from the City - no plans for ADSL yet.

Later,

Jason Nicholls