[plug] modems (was Re: [plug] Gut modem für Linux? [those blinkinglights again])

Len Bird lenbird at iinet.net.au
Sun Aug 20 21:03:28 WST 2000

The number of drop-outs which I have experienced since installing the v 90 Acer
have been no higher than thos which I had with a 33,3 K Modem. I accept that you
will not get 56k transfer rate, in practice the actual results are about 46 k
doubtless  due to the constraints of  telephone lines, after all these were
designed many years ago and were intended for analogue speach purposes in the
100-2000 hertz band. The v 90 just pushes the limits as far as it can, and I do not
know of anyone who can get anything much better than the 46-47 K rate that I get
with mine. The points raised elsewhere are quite relevant, and the plug pack
supplied with the Acer is about twice the size (and rating) of most of the other
Modems I have seen.  As a general rule you only get what you are prepared to pay
for, but then how come M$ get away with it?