[plug] modems (was Re: [plug] Gut modem für Linux? [those blinkinglights again])

Tony Clark tclark at telia.com
Sun Aug 20 22:00:58 WST 2000

At 21:03 20/08/00 +0800, you wrote:
>The number of drop-outs which I have experienced since installing the v 90
>Acer
>have been no higher than thos which I had with a 33,3 K Modem. I accept
>that you
>will not get 56k transfer rate, in practice the actual results are about 46 k
>doubtless  due to the constraints of  telephone lines, after all these were
>designed many years ago and were intended for analogue speach purposes in the
>100-2000 hertz band. The v 90 just pushes the limits as far as it can, and
>I do not
>know of anyone who can get anything much better than the 46-47 K rate that
>I get
>with mine. The points raised elsewhere are quite relevant, and the plug pack
>supplied with the Acer is about twice the size (and rating) of most of the
>other
>Modems I have seen.  As a general rule you only get what you are prepared
>to pay
>for, but then how come M$ get away with it?

For what it's worth, i get 54K connections here..I find when running NT I
get the odd dropout.  Don't know why actually but it seems when NT is under
load and the connection is 54K it will drop out sometimes.  If I tell the
modem not to go above 50.6K it is steady as a rock. Don't see the problem
as much under linux...same modem etc....anyway ISDN is the same price as
POTS here and i am just waiting for that to be installed.

Tony Clark
HDL Electronics Pty Ltd
Contract VHDL, FPGA, ASIC and Electronic Design Services
Mobile: +46 702 894 667