[plug] modem connect statistics

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Tue Aug 22 09:05:57 WST 2000

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, BillK wrote:

> One item I have not seen anyone bring up is the role of compression in
> the speeds at the destination (i.e., your system) - I have had some

But how many files do you download that are not already compressed?

About the only such files I regularly download are .html files.
Everything else (.gif, .jpg, .avi, .mpg, .tar.gz, .deb etc) is already
compressed, so having the modem attempt to compress it again will only
slow you down (albeit marginally)

Even the whoppingly huge .iso files I download consist of .deb files, so
most of it would be already compressed.

 - Matt