[plug] The Community's gone Crackers

bburns at erggroup.com bburns at erggroup.com
Tue Aug 22 14:39:23 WST 2000

Hi all again,

Yep, its the daft sod who openned his machine to the world (Perth & its
listeners neway)..  Just to stop any flame wars - no one has yet done
anything to the machine (that I can tell of) to damage it - so no trust has
been betrayed.

Quick check just revealed that the machine has gone offline now - did
someone type shutdown?  So I'll check it when I get back, but I trust all
is ok (ish)...

Neway - I guess we all (or at least one!) learnt a thing or two....

Actually - chris at corpit.net said on IRC

   chris: ok just looking at your box be4 we start you have allready got a backdoor installed and you have done nothing with security on your box
Procrasti: what backdoor??? ahhh, what security :)
   chris: ok a backdoor is a program wich opens a security hole like an exploite so the attacker may return undetected with out close inspection
Procrasti: OIC....  What process/program is this backdoor - or is it just conjecture?
   chris: i picked it up with a program called satan running at my end the process is hidden as is the user and the users conection to your system
they
do this by installing trojaned copies of programs like ps netstat top w and othere utils

Does anyone know what he is talking about - has someone installed a trojan on my machine?  What is going on....

So, basically, people are saying that a bash shell login is not secure --> ie that people can (and have?) gained root access to the machine... if so,
its very interesting...

Well, I've had fun,
Cheers ppl,
Ben