IDE CD Toasting (Re: [plug] Community Hacking...(and ide-cdrom))

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Wed Aug 23 09:15:10 WST 2000

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 adrian_blockley at dingoblue.net.au wrote:

> we could offer help in getting Ben's IDE CDRW working under Linux which
> was the original reason for opening his machine to the world.

Here are some instructions I wrote to help someone get his IDE CDRW going.
I don't know how much of this you've done already, but it might help.

cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
find SCSI emulation under block devices and select it with M
(module)

Go to SCSI and select M for SCSI support
then select M for SCSI CDROM and SCSI generic
exit/exit and save changes
make modules
make modules_install
depmod -a
modprobe scsi_mod
modprobe ide-scsi
modprobe sg

If it still doesn't detect it you will need to tell the normal IDE drivers
not to touch the CDRW because you want the SCSI emulation layer to grab it
instead. You do that by editing /etc/lilo.conf and adding a line that says

"append=hdc:ide-scsi" (assuming the writer is on hdc)

You will need to add this line to the stanza relevant to the kernel you
normally run (eg the one that starts with image=/vmlinuz)

If you want to use it as a data CDROM you will need to modprobe sr_mod as
well. Don't load it unless/until you want to read from the CDROM though,
because in my experience it conflicts with sg.

However I now have all of it compiled into the kernel (as opposed to
modules) and it all works great.

 - Matt