[plug] Community Hacking...(and ide-cdrom)

adrian_blockley at dingoblue.net.au adrian_blockley at dingoblue.net.au
Wed Aug 23 08:49:52 WST 2000

Ok Guys Thanks for the interesting thread,

I think this all a great example of one of the best aspects of Linux
and that is the Linux community.  Of course we don't always (often?)
agree as to how best to provide help to other Linux users but the
debate is half the fun.

Perhaps rather than just debating the merits of leaving your front door
unlocked and whether it is polite for someone else to lock it for you
(there are places in the world where it is safe to leave your front
door unlocked - perhaps the cyber community is not one of these tho')
we could offer help in getting Ben's IDE CDRW working under Linux which
was the original reason for opening his machine to the world.

Ben, if you can detail how far you have got in getting your cd writing
working and the bits you're now stuck on maybe we can put our heads
together and suggest some solutions.

Cheers

Adrian

On 22 Aug, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> It is hard for me to write this in English.  I'm sorry if my it hard
> to understand what I try to express.
>
> The issue for me is what to accept and what to not accept, and which
> consequences to draw from the things that happend.  I believe most
> people offered trust will show trust and responsibility in return.
>
> Someone made a request for help by offering trust to the PLUG mailing
> list.  This is something that should be done more often.  Those
> offering this trust needs to make sure they can afford to have this
> trust broken.
>
> When it is claimed that this request for help is _bound_ to be misused
> is to me another way of saying it is wrong to request help by offering
> trust to the plug mailing list.  I do not find this is acceptable.
>
> If someone misuses the trust, this is both stupid, short sighted and
> hopefully illegal.  And the act is not acceptable.
>
> When you disabled .bash_history, and thus made it impossible to keep
> an eye on the things done to the machine, you broke the trust given to
> the mailing list.  When you locked down the machine and made the offer
> of trust disappear, I believe you indirectly accepted the acts by
> peoples misusing an offer.  I do not think this is acceptable.
>
> If someone opens their house and invites everyone who wants to give it
> a try in to try to fix a problem, and someone starts trashing the
> house, I hope it is obvious who did the bad things and who did the
> acceptable things.
>
> Locking the door and letting the house owner know that this is not the
> way to get help is not a stupid thing to do, but I do not think it is
> acceptable either.

Adrian  Blockley
adrian_blockley at dingoblue.net.au
Ph 03 9571 4823