[plug] Using the mail command to send attachments

The Thought Assassin assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Wed Aug 23 12:06:07 WST 2000

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Bradley Browne wrote:
> I want to send a text file I am working on to my windows machine
> so that I can quickly print it off and review it.  I can't be
> bothered ftp'ing the file all the time, I would much rather be
> able to send it as an attachment in an email.
How can emailing the file be easier than ftping?
an FTP URL can be made into a bookmark/shortcut, which means one click and
it's downloaded. An email attachment is not as easy to use, and that's
_after_ you've encoded the attachment at the other end.

> I need root access to get at the file
Now I am intrigued. What file do you have that is so important that only
root can read it, but you are willing to mail across the net unencrypted
and then print out?

> and so I would like to use the mail command to send it.  Is this
> possible ?  I have had a look at the man page but from reading that it
> seems that this is not a feature that mail has.
If you are really serious, then apropos MIME or just man mpack.

-Greg Mildenhall