[plug] OT: cockroaches, Windows T-1000

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Wed Aug 23 14:05:28 WST 2000

Bret Busby wrote:
> Remember the computer in War Games? Consider what could have happened,
> if that was running with Windows... The cockroaches would be ruling the
> world ( the only life form, known to man, that would survive a nuclear
> war).

No... cockroaches _do_ need to eat. There must be other lifeforms (many
of them, all working ecologies are very complex and strongly
cross-connected), and it would eventually go hard with the cockroaches
if many of those lifeforms weren't at least on par with the roaches.

Since Windows doesn't come with TicTacToe, the computers would have to
analyse Hearts to death.

> Remember the Teminator, when computers became self-aware, and tried to
> eliminate man, as a defective organism, and a threat to the control of
> the world by computers? (I understand that Terminator 3 is on its
> way...)

Don't worry, the weapons systems will freeze up sooner or later anyway.
The frightening concept would be a virus named "CVN-77"...

> And, who would be able to convert the carriers, or their weaponry, to
> manual control? Would the dreaded Winnows allow them?

"Captain?"

"Gun Commander?"

"Sir... er, why is there a mouse in this turret?"

--
If life is merely a joke, the question remains: for whose amusement?