[plug] Re: Aussie DMCA is here now!

Darrell Horrocks darrellh at kpbg.wa.gov.au
Fri Aug 25 10:40:55 WST 2000

DMCA is the American FLA for Digital Millenium Copyright Act.

Is supposedly an upgrade to the copyright act so that it deals with the computer
age.

It seems pretty tight and almost draconian, but doesn't take away the concept of
"fair use".  EXCEPT that the act has a clause that denies decrypting a work or
using a "circumvention device".

This is currently the issue with regard to the DeCSS program, as people should be
able to decrypt works to make their own backups, use for papers etc, but this is
currently denied by the the act.

Of course the DVD producers love this! ;-)

Please feel free to correct me...I can't find the relevent links atm, but it
appears that the anti-circumvention clause is word-for-word with the American
one.

I will echo the doomed sentiment.

Regards

Darrell