[plug] Installfest - distributions

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Fri Aug 25 13:15:59 WST 2000

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 01:08:32PM +0800, skribe wrote:
> At 12:55 25/08/00, Christian wrote:
> >If you're so worried about security then register interest (and
> >enrol!) in the security unit I'm planning to run second semester next
> >year.  You can get more info at http://stallman.murdoch.edu.au.  That
> >way you will (hopefully) understand the *process* of security instead of
> >being caught up with the idea of different programs giving you security.
>
> And what about those of us that work in the real world? =). There is
> unfortunately a dearth of useful information regarding security beyond the
> basics and what there is seems to be scattered in dribs and drabs across
> countless websites, FAQs and How-tos.

Hire someone who knows security to do the work for you or invest time in
learning it yourself (I'm available for consultancy work and I believe
there are companies which do this sort of work on a regular basis).
Unfortunately, until vendors get off their a*s*s and start producing
secure software (or their is some magical, almost inconceivable
breakthrough in secure programming technology) that is the only option.

(Or install OpenBSD.)