[plug] two keyboards on one machine?

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Mon Aug 28 09:55:56 WST 2000

On Sat, Aug 26, 2000 at 08:10:28PM +0800, Peter Wright wrote:

> PS. As an almost completely unrelated note, I was just wondering how doing
> something like this (appending text at the end of all outgoing emails)
> would affect signing and/or encrypting outgoing email using PGP or GPG or
> whatever other methods are widely used nowadays? I'd guess that the
> recipient would have to actually edit the email to remove the "disclaimer"
> before verifying the signature or decrypting the message. Which would be
> moderately annoying, now I think about it.

Well, it obviously wouldn't work if it were encrypted.  It would
probably just add a separate MIME text part with the signature in it
(I've seen Eudora do this so you get three parts to the email: text mail
body, binary attachment, text signature).  As for signing, you're right
that it would invalidate the signature if it just appended the lines to
the end of the main text part of the message.  If it added a new part
then it wouldn't be a problem.  To verify the signature the recipient
would probably have to save the message body, remove the exact lines
that were added (not touching any \n's, \t's or other hidden characters
that were part of the original signed message) and then manually check
the signature.  If you could do that exactly and consistently then the
validity of the signature would still be fully intact but its usefulness
would be considerably lowered given that the whole process would be awkward
and annoying.

Regards,

Christian.