[plug] Enterprise Deployment Examples

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Tue Aug 29 13:22:56 WST 2000

Steve Grasso wrote:
> I've been asked to justify a proposal for using open-source solutions for
> geographically dispersed,  enterprise-level email, file, print and directory
> services. My proposal includes Debian running IMAP/IMP for POP/IMAP/Web-based
> email, SAMBA for file/print (since the enterprise solution will be serving
> Win/Mac machines) and LDAP for directory services.

> 1.  Examples of enterprise deployments similar to the proposal, large or
> small, Australia or overseas.

Small enterprise, I have a good example (but no webmail) which is Linux-based
throughout *except* for two machines which needed to run AutoCAD.

I also have a pending good example currently using a Linux server to support
Pick, about to replace their WinNT-based PPTP link between Perth and Kalgoorlie
offices via an ISP, with either IPSec or stunnel under Linux.

> 2.  Commercial support availability in Perth/Australia. I have a few
> contacts in this regard and need more.

Computer Clinic will do that for you. CC is about to have a website revolution,
but the old one is up at this address: http://www.cclinic.com.au/ and I presume
LinuxWA will help as well (http://www.linuxwa.com.au/).

> Feel free to criticise my choices of solution/propose better alternatives.

Since I presume you will be working with decent machinery, remember to include
Squid for proxying, run a cacheing name server at the end of each link to speed
up name resolution, and advertise intrinsic firewall/router capability,
intrinsic remote manageability (beyond LDAP, you have SSH and even SSL-protected
Web management options), and extreme reliability.

Point out that most ISPs use Linux or something like it, and this is not an
accident.

--
How penguins survive: many are cold, but few are frozen.