[plug] Enterprise Deployment Examples

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Wed Aug 30 04:42:50 WST 2000

> Steve Grasso wrote:
> > I've been asked to justify a proposal for using open-source
> solutions for
> > geographically dispersed,  enterprise-level email, file, print
> and directory
> > services. My proposal includes Debian running IMAP/IMP for
> POP/IMAP/Web-based
> > email, SAMBA for file/print (since the enterprise solution will
> be serving
> > Win/Mac machines) and LDAP for directory services.
>
> > 1.  Examples of enterprise deployments similar to the proposal, large or
> > small, Australia or overseas.
>
> Small enterprise, I have a good example (but no webmail) which is
> Linux-based
> throughout *except* for two machines which needed to run AutoCAD.
>
> I also have a pending good example currently using a Linux server
> to support
> Pick, about to replace their WinNT-based PPTP link between Perth
> and Kalgoorlie
> offices via an ISP, with either IPSec or stunnel under Linux.

As far as webmail goes Leon I thought you would be using TWIG
(http://www.screwdriver.net/). From a look and feel perspective IMP looks
great but needs to have a java enabled browser (which has both i9ts pros and
cons). TWIG will run under any good browser and looks and works great under
LYNX (a Linux gurus favourite friend *grin*).

So are you just getting a bit slow in your old age Leon. I mean TWIG is your
baby becaue you are still mentioned in the config files !!!!! (Just hassling
you Leon).

> > 2.  Commercial support availability in Perth/Australia. I have a few
> > contacts in this regard and need more.
>
> Computer Clinic will do that for you. CC is about to have a
> website revolution,
> but the old one is up at this address: http://www.cclinic.com.au/
> and I presume
> LinuxWA will help as well (http://www.linuxwa.com.au/).

Sop why plug computer clinic Leon ??? Have you changed sides ???? (Ok so I
know Garth is a good bloke and would do a good job with any Linux box abnd I
would recommend him and CC to anyone who was looking for Perth based Linux
support).

> > Feel free to criticise my choices of solution/propose better
> alternatives.

Well like I said TWIG is easy to setup, works well, is quite bandwidth
sensitive and runs in almost any browser. But this is just my personal
preference. My only other comment maybe to try one of the commercial debian
distros (say Storm Linux http://www.stormix.com/) as this gives corporates
good touchy feely stuff that makes them happy to look at Open Source. (But
you may be able to convice them other way so dont just go Storm b3ecause I
said so !!!)

> Since I presume you will be working with decent machinery,
> remember to include
> Squid for proxying, run a cacheing name server at the end of each
> link to speed
> up name resolution, and advertise intrinsic firewall/router capability,
> intrinsic remote manageability (beyond LDAP, you have SSH and
> even SSL-protected
> Web management options), and extreme reliability.
>
> Point out that most ISPs use Linux or something like it, and this
> is not an
> accident.
>
> --
> How penguins survive: many are cold, but few are frozen.

Try finding a penguin in the middle of West Africa or in the Sahara !!!

Michael Hunt
Surronded by way to many yanks and needing to hack on an Aussie once in a
while !!!
Niger West Africa