[plug] Mandrake 7.1 cannot find Intel EtherExpress Pro

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Tue Aug 29 21:31:20 WST 2000

> Phillip Steege wrote:
> I tried installing Mandrake 7.1 on my Pentium 233 and all went well except the
> network card.
> I have an ISA Intel EtherExpress Pro (10mb) card that worked fine under
> Windoze 98.
> The Intel card was an option during the install, but Mandrake could not find
> it automatically.  I tried entering the same settings that worked under
> Windoze (for example:  IRQ 05, IO 210-21F, MEM 000CC000-000CFFFF) but it did
> not detect it that way either.

You will be happy to know that the same thing happens under Windows 3.11, I'm
sure.

Intel networking cards are touchy things. The ISA ones are NOT PNP but require a
special (DOS) Intel setup program. IIRC, the EEpro is PCI, so should show up in
the /proc/pci pseudofile (along with appropriate settings).

You may need to give an odd driver switch to get it working or use an older or
newer version of the driver (read /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/eepro100.c off the
top of my head). If there are no hints there or in the kernel docs, visit
http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/mandrake-devel/cooker/Mandrake/RPMS/ and fetch a
later kernel. Do an rpm -i on the new kernel, *not* rpm -U, as this keeps your
old kernel around until you're sure the new one is happy (ie it boots and runs
everything).

If you are truly brave, try fetching a set of hackkernel-2.4.0* RPMs and
installing those. (-:

--
How penguins survive: many are cold, but few are frozen.