[plug] Mandrake 7.1 cannot find Intel EtherExpress Pro

Gavin Rogers grogers at greenwood.wa.edu.au
Tue Aug 29 22:53:36 WST 2000

At 21:31 29/08/00 +0800, you wrote:
> Phillip Steege wrote:
> I tried installing Mandrake 7.1 on my Pentium 233 and all went well
except the
> network card.
> I have an ISA Intel EtherExpress Pro (10mb) card that worked fine under
> Windoze 98.
> The Intel card was an option during the install, but Mandrake could not find
> it automatically.  I tried entering the same settings that worked under
> Windoze (for example:  IRQ 05, IO 210-21F, MEM 000CC000-000CFFFF) but it did
> not detect it that way either.

Hello.

Intel confusingly has a number of network cards which it calls
"EtherExpress Pro" both
in 10 and 100Mbit and ISA and PCI versions.

I use Ethernet Express PRO 10's in my systems (ISA cards, which have the
circuit board
cut on a sharp angle at the 16 bit end), and they work fine in kernels up
to and including
2.2.12.

I upgraded my system to kernel 2.2.16 and the board failed - it would work
for a few seconds
then stop working... nothing I tried short of a reboot would get it going
again. This was
under Debian 2.2.

I replicated this problem on two different machines with a whole heap of
different cards
with the same result. (We've got _lots_ of these cards spare)

Maybe the problem I was having is this same problem? What kernel version
does Mandrake 7.1
ship with? Have I found a kernel bug? :-)

Regards,

Gavin Rogers.

---
                 grogers at greenwood.wa.edu.au