[plug] Re:SCSI CDRW

Mark Saxon mark at omninet.net.au
Sun Dec 3 09:07:46 WST 2000

Matt Kemner wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Mark Saxon wrote:
>
> > Checked the archives and I did attend the Installfest to look at the
> > EIDE burners in action -  they seemed slow and just a little too easy to
> > interupt to me.
>
> Which ones were you looking at?
>
> The main burners going at the Installfest were mine & Chris', and they
> were only interrupted once when the power died.

Not sure which ones I looked at it but they can't have been yours. It
was pretty busy and no time to find out who you all were. Although I
would like to have, I don't get to the city often.

The burning operation I looked at was interrupted by running 'top' (at
my request) to see what resources were being used. Burning session fell
over straight away.  I did not think much of my chances of asking for it
to be repeated to see if it was a one off. Although there were no
recriminations from plugers it was not popular with those waiting.

> As for speed, depends on what it's labeled as - an 8x SCSI writer is
> not going to be any faster than an 8x IDE (1.2MB/s)
>
> Also I've copied many CD's disc->disc from an old 24x IDE CDROM to my 8x
> IDE CDRW (at 8x) and never had a single failure due to buffer underruns.

There was a bit of a queue for Linux CD'which seemed to be taking about
15 - 20 min (I could be wrong here)but it may not have been disk to
disk.

> I really don't see the justification for paying the extra to go SCSI,
> unless you're running that other OS

Matt

Hard words indeed :) - definitely not running that other OS

I don't really want to spend the extra money but Its the tricky bit
about making a decision in isolation, my one chance to see IDE and the
single test  applied it squibed.

I can't help thinking my own box with far fewer cpu cycles to spare
would be just not be up to it.

Cheers

Mark