[plug] Re:SCSI CDRW

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Sun Dec 3 12:56:46 WST 2000

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Mark Saxon wrote:

> There was a bit of a queue for Linux CD'which seemed to be taking about
> 15 - 20 min (I could be wrong here)but it may not have been disk to
> disk.

It was because people were waiting for either Mandrake (2 CDs -> 18 mins a
set at 8x) or Debian (3 CDs -> 27 mins a set at 8x)

> I can't help thinking my own box with far fewer cpu cycles to spare
> would be just not be up to it.

You have a very good point, but I think the chances are if your box is not
fast enough to handle an IDE cd-writer, I doubt it would handle a SCSI
one either.

It's all dependent on your computer being able to read a constant 1.2MB/s
off your Hard Disk.  In that case you might be better off finding a
second-hand 6x or even 4x writer which your system will be more likely to
keep up with.

Is there anybody in the area you can borrow a burner off to do some tests
on your system?  When are you up in Perth next?

 - Matt