[plug] NFS Bizarre Problem

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Sun Dec 3 09:54:21 WST 2000

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Bernard Blackham wrote:

> > I've restarted NFS with a stop/start, and suddenly the NFS daemon refuses
> > to start
>
> As a partial answer to my own question, could the kernel itself be holding
> it open?

Yes, there can be a delayed release. Shouldnt be more than a few minutes.
I had the same problem, but memory is hazy. There is an option flag to
change this behaviour. I dont know why the NFS daemon isnt doing that, if
its a known (fixed) port. I think the issue may only apply to udp ??
  Check the man pages, or a book like Stephens on socket
programming. There is a good reason for the behaviour, in some cases.
   Sorry I cant be more specific.

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--