[plug] installing red hat 7 on a clean hard drive

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Tue Dec 5 16:44:49 WST 2000

Hmmmm....

My previous answer although correct, is probably a little brief :-)

RedHat will have their own recommendations for partitioning a disk. Perhaps
you'd like to do a Google search or search http://www.redhat.com or read your
disk partitioning docs on the install disk.

Otherwise, here's a few rough pointers:

- You must have a swap partition. A reasonable rule of thumb is to enable as
much disk-space for Linux swap as you have RAM (or expected maximum RAM) on
your system

- How you partition the disk is up to you. There are no universally agreed
partitioning schemes, just suggestions for different uses. A server may
require more partitioning than a single-user workstation for data segregation
or other (many and varied) reasons.

You may like to consider having a separate /boot partition of, say, 10 MB so
that in the event the rest of the disk fills up you can still boot it.

Some people have a swap partition, /boot partition then the rest of the file
system in a single / partiton. For a single-user workstation, that's probably
all that's required.

Others prefer a separate partition for /boot, /, /usr, /var, /home
and /tmp. A suggestion could be (for a 1 GB disk and 64 MB RAM):

64 MB	Linux swap
10 MB	/boot
100 MB	/tmp
100 MB	/var
400 MB	/usr
and the rest mounted in a / partition

Or you could let the installer choose a default partitioning scheme for you.

Have fun, and read some documentation!

Steve