[plug] Modules, kernels & samba(?)

Scott scott at bizzpro.com.au
Tue Dec 5 18:11:29 WST 2000

Hi Pluggers

My question is on modules and custom kernels.
Traditionally when i first started making my own kernels i used to build the kernels without modules thinking it was easier to get working. After i got a better understanding of modules (having to get my TV tuner and SB Live to work) i started using modules for just about everything.
The question is what is better?
I know that if i regularily change hardware then obviously modules would be better but rebuilding a kernel only takes a few minutes.

Do modules take up more memory?
What is considered the "accepted" practice in the Linux world?

Samba Question.
Say i have a small LAN using a Linux box that is a file server using samba as well as a basic internet gateway with about 5 windows workstations. The users have very little computer knowledge (point and click is about it). They don't want permanent internet access and in fact, they  only want to dial up whenever they feel like it. I have set up a sudoers so they could telnet in and type "sudo pon bigpond" but even this is a bit difficult for them.
Is it possible with samba to set up a shortcut or something that i could make into a icon so they can just point and click?

Thanks
Scott