[plug] Modules, kernels & samba(?)

Scott scott at bizzpro.com.au
Tue Dec 5 19:37:32 WST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Howell" <andrew at belzedar.leederville.it.net.au>
To: <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2000 7:29 PM
Subject: Re: [plug] Modules, kernels & samba(?)

> On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 06:11:29PM +0800, Scott wrote:
> > Hi Pluggers
> >
> > My question is on modules and custom kernels.
> > Traditionally when i first started making my own kernels i used to build
the kernels without modules thinking it was easier to get working. After i
got a better understanding of modules (having to get my TV tuner and SB Live
to work) i started using modules for just about everything.
> > The question is what is better?
> > I know that if i regularily change hardware then obviously modules would
be better but rebuilding a kernel only takes a few minutes.

> > Do modules take up more memory?
> > What is considered the "accepted" practice in the Linux world?
> >
> > Samba Question.
> > Say i have a small LAN using a Linux box that is a file server using
samba as well as a basic internet gateway with about 5 windows workstations.
The users have very little computer knowledge (point and click is about it).
They don't want permanent internet access and in fact, they  only want to
dial up whenever they feel like it. I have set up a sudoers so they could
telnet in and type "sudo pon bigpond" but even this is a bit difficult for
them.
> > Is it possible with samba to set up a shortcut or something that i could
make into a icon so they can just point and click?

> You can setup diald so that when they start up a web browser
> it will bring up the link.
>
> Andrew
>
> --
> Andrew Howell
> Managing Director
> Informed Technology
> E-mail: andrew at it.net.au
> Ph: 08 9380 4244  Fax: 08 9380 4354

No they want manual dial only, Dial on Demand has other problems other than
the possiblilty of expensive costs. Windows has the uncanny ability to ask
for a ppp link at the strangest times.