[plug] NIS problem

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Tue Dec 5 20:01:45 WST 2000

List,

I'm having fun setting up a NIS server, only problem I've run into so far
is that the NIS password database isn't incorporating shadow passwords.
The NIS HOWTO strongly recommends against using shadow passwords with NIS
but it should still be doable. The Makefile is supposed to merge
/etc/passwd with /etc/shadow using the yphelper program. Doesnt work.

Doing it manually, yphelper just spews back the passwd file without the
shadow passwords in it. Can anybody offer any insight into this? yphelper
is a program used in the internal workings and thus I can't find any
documentation on it.

Executing "yphelper -p /etc/passwd /etc/shadow" (as per makefile) and it
dumps back /etc/passwd untouched.

I am using the ypserv-1.3.6.91-1 rpm package that came with RH6.0.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially if it helps =)

Thanks,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham