[plug] MB Stats

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Wed Dec 6 10:55:27 WST 2000

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Jon  Miller wrote:

> Is there a way to find out how much data is being downloaded (e.g. total MB) going thru our server?  I need to check this on a monthly basis.

on the gateway do something like:

# ipchains -A forward -s 0/0 -s 0/0

This will creater a "blank rule"  that matches all traffic the goes through
this server (ie does not originate nor arrive at the gateway).  If you already
have a similar line then the stats are already being collected.  You can use
the command below to see the current values.

# ipchains -vnxL forward

This will report the number of bytes that matched that rule.
soon after you've run the report you can zero the stats with

# ipchains -Z

This will only report the data it deosn't collect info on the rate of data
flow.

<spitballing>
I'm sure if you were really keen you could usew the above process and MRTG to
draw pretty graphs of your traffic ... but thats another story
</spitballing>

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein