[plug] distros (again)!

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Wed Dec 6 14:33:46 WST 2000

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 02:08:18PM +0800, The Thought Assassin wrote:
> > It's probably more to do with the fact that those programs are both
> > incredibly slow and bloated and will run like that on most any machine.
> Aren't you glad they are now open-sourced and on the road to recovery?

I'm certainly glad they're now free software and one side effect of this
hopefully will be that they become less bloated.  Of course, if Mozilla
is anything to go by then the road to a stable, bloat-free OpenOffice
may be a very long one.

> > I can't think of any configuration tweak that would significantly improve
> > their performance.
> Unless perhaps your system is not finding all of your RAM. Run meminfo and
> see if it agrees with you.

I don't have meminfo on my system so the original poster might like to
try 'free' which is guaranteed to be there.