[plug] distros (again)!

The Thought Assassin assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Wed Dec 6 14:39:31 WST 2000

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Jason Nicholls wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 02:08:18PM +0800, The Thought Assassin wrote:
> > Aren't you glad they are now open-sourced and on the road to recovery?
> Well, the memory foot print of Mozilla (and Netscape 6) is even worse
> than that of Netscape 4.x.
Aren't you glad that it is open-sourced and on the road to recovery thanks
to the Galeon people? Being open doesn't necessarily mean that the
Netscape browser is going to be smaller, but it does mean that if people
want a small browser, they can build one.

> What happened with the idea of small is good?
It's too black-and-white. _Flexible_ is good. Once you've got flexible
down, you can go for small if that's what suits you.

> Sure Mozilla uses the Gecko rendering engine that's so small it fits on
> a floppy. But why then layer on another 38Mb (Netscape 6 is even bigger)
> of crap on top.
I thoroughly agree. Thankfully Mozilla has ceased to grow and is now
getting smaller and faster with every milestone. I don't think
Netscape/AOL are interested in people with slower machines, since people
who are not rich enough, foolish enough and easily-led enough to have the
latest-and-greatest don't constitute the target audience NS/AOL seek.

> I'm eager to try galeon when M19 comes out.
Why wait? Is there something I don't know about?

> The beauty of open source in this case comes from the fact that some of the
> real achievements (such as Gecko) can be used in other projects. Projects
> where the goal isn't to slow down a 1.5Ghz P4 to a crawl.
Damn straight. We get to pick and choose what is best, rather than taking
what we are given and accepting it. How could we have let it be any other
way for so long?

-Greg