console hang, was RE: [plug] reiserfs

Dennis Plester dennisp at tiwest.com.au
Fri Dec 8 08:00:20 WST 2000

No, not at all Mike. It can't be possibly as drastic as hitting the reset
button!

Tried killing X and restarting it from a telnet session. Sometimes it works,
but often it will simply start freezing again a few moments later. Can't see
then why it's so bad (or that it shows a Windoze mentality) to reboot the
machine.

I have managed to eliminate the problem by using 3.3.6 rather than 4.01.
Which is a shame, because by my understanding, the 3d acceleration functions
of my TNT2 only work under 4.01. Luckily I still have the twin Voodoo 2s
running in SLI mode under the hood the accelerate the essentials like Unreal
Tourney and Quake 3 Arena! Not quite as potent, but still effective.

Linux doesn't always have to be so serious Mike!

Later,

Dennis.