console hang, was RE: [plug] reiserfs

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Fri Dec 8 09:04:10 WST 2000

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 08:00:20AM +0800, Dennis Plester wrote:
> No, not at all Mike. It can't be possibly as drastic as hitting the reset
> button!
> Linux doesn't always have to be so serious Mike!

I think Mike was just trying to suggest a possibility that you gave no
indication you had tried or even thought of.  A lot of people when
coming to Linux have the habit of rebooting in order to try and correct
problems simply because Windows has conditioned them to think that way.
(Of course, ironically, most problems in Linux will still exist after
the reboot the same as they did before it -- it's just THAT damn
reliable!)  When you gave no indication that you'd considered the
possibility then it perhaps suggested you were coming from a Windows
background and hadn't thought of what may have been a time-saving and
valuable tip.

Regards,

Christian.