console hang, was RE: [plug] reiserfs

Dennis Plester dennisp at tiwest.com.au
Fri Dec 8 09:17:59 WST 2000

Maybe Mike should have rephrased his email a little differently. Rather than
saying, "you are stuck in the windoze mentality", he could have said, "have
you tried <insert useful tip here>? You might not need to reboot your PC
like you are probably used to in Windows.", rather than a blunt, easily
misinterpreted response.

</rant mode on>

Perhaps I read too much into the tone of his email, but if that's the case,
I'm not the only one. I've had something like 10 emails sent to me off list
over night from others, suggesting that Mike's response was probably not
appropriate. Some of my friends who are dyed in the wool Windows sufferers
have stayed away from Linux because of a perceived arrogance from Linux
veterans, and an intolerance amongst Linux circles to newbies, especially
those who have come from Windows. I know that this is not true, but we need
to be careful how we phrase our replies to the bleeding obvious. If PLUG
doesn't want to tolerate the inexperienced, they should not promote
installfests and the PLUG list as a resource for newcomers.

</rant mode off>

Later,

Dennis.