[plug] mp3 ripping

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Mon Dec 11 09:24:11 WST 2000

On Sun, 10 Dec 2000, Kevin Shackleton wrote:

> I've just got round to setting up my sound card on my new PC (after a
> couple of months), which lead to setting up Samba so I can get to the
> mp3 files I've stored on an NT server, which lead to looking at cd
> ripping and encoding.
>
> I set up cdparanoia and lame, but I was rather surprised that 1) making
> an mp3 is still a two-step process and 2) it really wasn't that fast.
>
> Looking over a couple of Linux mp3 sites for currently recommended
> software lead me to set these up (I wasn't that struck on the need for a
> graphic interface).
>
> Does anyone have a better way to rip than this combination?

I'm no Guru but I use
cdparanoia
bladeenc
cda
and perl.

I insert my audio cd and then "$ ripit"

Wait for awhile (where awhile will vary with enconing bitrate and processor
speed).

I coded this myself (it's only about 150 lines) as I was un satisfied with the
available tools.  It works and I've never looked back.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein
 */