[plug] mp3 ripping

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Mon Dec 11 12:15:59 WST 2000

Hey There,

On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 09:24:11AM +0800, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:
> > Does anyone have a better way to rip than this combination?
>
> I'm no Guru but I use
> cdparanoia
> bladeenc
> cda
> and perl.

I'm in a similar situation. I use a shell script to control ripping with
cdda2wav, some perl script to rename tracks (cddb) and then lame to encode at
192kbps.

Some stats on my AMD K6-2 500Mhz box:

	cd1 length: 53mins, 17.6sec
	  enc time: 28mins, 23secs
	            (not processor time cause I was do other stuff while this
		    was happening, might have been slightly faster)

	cd1 length: 78mins, 00.0sec
	  enc time: 45mins, 29secs
		    (as above)

I'm sure there are faster encoders, but I'm happy with lame.

> I insert my audio cd and then "$ ripit"

I use "$ process-cd.sh" ;)

> I coded this myself (it's only about 150 lines) as I was un satisfied with the
> available tools.  It works and I've never looked back.

I set this up quite a while back and I know there are 101 different front-ends
that do this sort of thing so you probably won't have to "roll your own".

Later,

Jason Nicholls