[plug] Mandrake 7.2 - latest APC linux pocketbook

Dennis Plester dennisp at tiwest.com.au
Wed Dec 13 08:07:18 WST 2000

A little while a go, I hit the list with my rather hopeless attempts at
installing Mandrake 7.2, just after it became available for download.
Several of you replied with some very good advice, but unfortunately I was
still unable to get it up and running. It would install the packages, but
then crash when it came to the boot loader set up and boot floppy stages.
This would leave me with a machine that could be from another boot floppy,
but with broken cdrom, burner and networking support, and the boot directory
was completely empty. I gave up after ten install attempts, and reverted to
Mandrake 7.1 which installed perfectly and has run without significant
problems ever since.

I've been looking into this, and found that there are others in Australia
and the US who have experienced the same problem. We posted bug
notifications to the Mandrake 7.2 bug list page, but there has been no
reply.

In a fit of desperation, I purchased the APC Linux pocketbook that has just
been released, and installed Mandrake 7.2 from the cover disks. What do you
know, it installed and worked first time. What's the difference? Don't know.

Whatever the case, if you had problems with installing Mandrake 7.2 like I
did, I would heartily recommend grabbing the latest Linux pocketbook, or
grabbing copies off someone who has the disks, as it worked like a charm in
my case. The cover CDs also have the latest patched up version of Red Hat
7.0, and an extended Win4Lin trial that expires 31st March 2001.

Anyway, enough of the pocketbook commercial already! Thanks to those who
tried to help me before. Hope this helps someone out there.

Dennis.