[plug] ReiserFS - anything I should know?

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Wed Dec 13 10:16:22 WST 2000

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Dennis Plester wrote:
> date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 08:15:33 +0800
> To: 'plug' <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
> From: Dennis Plester <dennisp at tiwest.com.au>
> Subject: [plug] ReiserFS - anything I should know?
>
> I just installed Mandrake 7.2, and decided to give this ReiserFS
> thing a go.
> I intend to hunt down some info regarding it, and get it straight
> in my mind
> what it is and how it works.
>
> Is there anything I should know about ReiserFS right now, or can I
> just let
> it look after itself for the time being, while I'm finding out
> about it?

I use reiserfs in both production and my home boxes. I have
found just as fast and significantly more resiliant than
ext2fs. However YMMV.

As for maintance, it should look after itself quite well (no long
fscks).

The only main problems I have found with reiserfs is:

1) You can really only use the latest released stable kernel, since
   you have to apply patches to compile it.

2) Standard rescue disks will not work.

3) lilo doesn't really like reiserfs, so /boot should be ext2fs. (the
   reiserfs notails option may make lilo work better)

For me at home, I switched to reiserfs so when Utah-GLX crashed the
computer, fsck wouldn't kill me.

have fun
Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au