OT: Re: Rejected mail problem - was Re: [plug] Perl vs PHP

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Thu Dec 14 11:17:50 WST 2000

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Bret Busby wrote:

> > <<< 553 5.3.0 Mail from dial-up rejected;see http://mail-abuse.org/dul/enduser.htm
> > 501 <alpha at indigo.net.au>... Data format error

> It appears, from the web page at the URL in the bounce message, that the
> email was blocked, as the recipient server, or, its software, regarded
> golden.wattle.id.au as a source of spam, and, therefore blacklisted it.
>
> >From what I understood, from reading the text at the URL, it appears
> that the ISP that services golden.wattle.id.au , should be advised, so
> that they can resolve the problem, of being regarded as a source of
> spam.

The problem here is not that Myk's ISP has been blacklisted for SPAM, but
rather that Indigo is using a mail blacklist that blocks mail from any
dialup machine, and only accepts email from ISP's mailserver - thereby
forcing people to use their ISP's mailserver for all outgoing mail, even
if they are running their own.

The theory behind this is that it means email is only received from
mailservers that are presumably under some form of administrative control,
and therefore less likely to be sources of SPAM.

Personally I find it to be a major PITA.

 - Matt