[plug] Dumping invalid files ?

The Thought Assassin assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Thu Dec 14 11:44:04 WST 2000

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Campbell, David (Ex AS17) wrote:
> > From:	Mike [SMTP:erazmus at wantree.com.au]
> >But when I specify that in lynx it objects, what should I put in place
> >of the literal filename to get the destination file correctly:-
> >lynx -dump http://www.someplace.com/Part one[1].zip > Part-1.zip
> Replace unsupported characters with %## where ## is the hex code
> for the letter. Hence the above should be:
> http://www.someplace.com/Part%20one[1].zip
It should be noted that this is what is required to make the URL fit the
http standards - this much needs to be done regardless of the platform,
browser or webserver. (unfortunately, not all software follows standards:)
The rest of David's message is about how to make the shell pass lynx this
corrected URL without treating the '['s as special characters.

> You may need to escape the '[' & ']' so that bash doesn't maul the
> parameter (eg: '\[' & '\]').

The simplest appropriate string is probably:
'http://www.someplace.com/Part%20one[1].zip'

-Greg