[plug] Ping

Campbell, David (Ex AS17) david.j.campbell at honeywell.com
Thu Dec 14 11:49:52 WST 2000

> From:	Leon Brooks [SMTP:leon at brooks.smileys.net]
>
>> Robert Andrews wrote:
>> win pings 150-170 ms
>> linux pings 170-205 ms
>> Can anybody explain to me why this is.
>
> Ummm, Windows is lying or broken?

The difference is within statistical limits, the timing capacity of Linux is
0.01 sec (10 msec, unless you have an alpha processor which has 1msec
resolution). I am trying to hunt down the timer tick frequency of NT (MS-DOS
is 13.5 ticks/sec => 74 msec). NT has been known to round down when
performing IP timing (eg: the infamous 1GB/sec on some FTP transfers). In
summary, until you start reaching 500 msec it doesn't carry much weight.

David Campbell