[plug] CD-ROM eject kernel issue

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Thu Dec 14 23:57:23 WST 2000

List,

I've noticed only recently that the eject program does not work on my
CD-ROM drive - noticed it only when I was playing around with Corel linux
and it happily ejected the CD-ROM which I'd never seen my Debian do before
(sad isn't it). I have the latest version of eject, and it's man page
says:

If eject does  not  work, it is most  likely a limitation  of the
kernel driver for the device and not the eject program itself.

I have compiled a customised kernel (2.2.17), the Corel standard one was
of 2.2.16. Is there something I need to compile into the kernel to let my
CD-ROM be ejected? There's nothing obvious under the block devices
section...

Thanks in advance,

Bernard.

--