[plug] netscape stalling

Evan Lau evanlau at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Dec 15 00:05:16 WST 2000

hi there,

i've used linux for years now but only recently really attempted to set it
up at home rather than just use it at uni and the like. i've set
everything up okay and am using redhat 7.0 (mandrake 7.2 was EXTREMELY
buggy i must say).

everything seems to be working fine until i use netscape. when loading
pages that are....say more than 50k large....very often it would just
stall (it says "36K read (stalled)") and never recovers. why is this so?
i've searched for information on the web regarding this but it's very very
vague. i'm new to all this and sorry if this is a topic that everyone has
seem b4 and is well known, but could somebody help me out?

i've set up IP masquerading on my computer and also using named so that
the other computer doesn't need to be configured everytime i change ISPs.
i would think so....but would this affect the netscape stalling problem?
also, is everything in the /etc/rc.d directory run automatically when
linux boots?

i'm new to the whole discussion group thing so forgive me if i've not
followed convention, eg. punctuation, reply-to-addresses etc.

thanks in advanced all for your help.

regards,
evan