[plug] netscape stalling

Campbell, David (Ex AS17) david.j.campbell at honeywell.com
Fri Dec 15 06:45:15 WST 2000

Evan,

> Everything seems to be working fine until i use netscape. when loading
> pages that are....say more than 50k large....very often it would just
> stall (it says "36K read (stalled)") and never recovers. why is this so?

Are you using a modem or network card? (presumably a modem)

I had a "similar" problem which could be traced to the network
card having a phantom IRQ conflict (it was using IRQ 5 which was not
being used by other devices) which would cause the packet queue
on the network card to drop packets. NT would BSOD attempting to
save to a network drive...

Suggest trying lynx or wget for downloading files from a http server.
In a terminal (either xterm or a virtual console) try:

$ wget
http://kernel.mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/linux/kernel/v2.2/linux-2.2.18.tar.gz
[The above should be one line]

That file is 18MB so it should be a good test, hopefully wget should
download to the current directory (I am not familar with wget,
comments on the list suggest it is the best command line
http file grabber). Use another terminal/console and use "ls -l"
to view the file size, it should increase as the download
progresses. Hopefully we can issolate whether the problem
is Netscape or "other" (including your system or ISP).

David Campbell