[plug] kernel 2.2.18

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Wed Dec 20 12:06:40 WST 2000

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Matt Kemner wrote:
> Anyway, I have just made a diff between kernel-source-2.2.17 (version
> 2.2.17pre6-1) and "vanilla" 2.2.17

TYVM! The diffs worked perfectly (well, almost)...

> The best way to apply this patch, is to rename kernel-source-2.2.17 to
> linux (or make a symlink) and then use
> "zcat debian-2.2.17.diff.txt.gz|patch -p0" (from /usr/src/)

Without a hitch.

> Then put patch-2.2.18.gz in /usr/src/ and run
> "sh linux/scripts/patch-kernel"

First time round, it was missing all the files under
linux/include/asm-i386/. The one directory is empty, everything else went
fine.

The vanilla/17 diffs seemed to be wiping the asm directory which was
symlinked to asm-i386, so I made a copy of asm-i386 as asm. Your diff
still deleted asm, but retained asm-i386 which let the kernel patch work.

All is well. Now to recompile said kernel... =)

Thanks again,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham