[plug] SCSI probs

Campbell, David (Ex AS17) david.j.campbell at honeywell.com
Fri Dec 15 13:39:00 WST 2000

> From:	David Griffiths [SMTP:griffith at environ.wa.gov.au]
>
> I'm having some intermittent SCSI problems on a dual cpu system.
>
> Backups have hung twice now with the system log being flooded with error
> messages eg:
>
> Dec 15 12:21:05 redgum kernel: st0: Error with sense data: [valid=0] Info
> fld=0x0, Current st09:00: sense key Illegal Request
> Dec 15 12:21:05 redgum kernel: Additional sense indicates Write append
> position error

At a guess you are using a 4mm DAT system and the tape heads need cleaning.
Other than that it could be that the tape you are using (or should I say
re-using?) is getting a little old. I see this happen here in my office, it
is time to junk the tape, clean the heads and start with a fresh tape.

David Campbell