[plug] Lilo on replacment drive

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Fri Dec 15 16:20:52 WST 2000

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Thomas, Andre wrote:

> I pressumed that lilo -r /mnt/hdc1 would work, (hdc1 is /boot) however
> it returns with the message "cannot find /etc/lilo.conf" as an error
> message.  I am lost...  Help anyone??

That is not going to work (regardless of the error it is having now)
because even if you get lilo to run, if you then make the machine
/dev/hda, lilo will be trying to look for /dev/hdc

You need to put the drive where it is going to be eventually (ie /dev/hda)
and then boot off a boot floppy, mount the drive on /mnt/ and then do lilo
-r /mnt/

as for the error message, check /mnt/etc/lilo.conf exists and is readable.

 - Matt