[plug] Samba Issues

Evan Lau evanlau at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Sat Dec 16 16:20:09 WST 2000

Hi all,

I've set up Samba on my Linux machine to allow my other machine on the
internal network (one using Windows 98SE), to access the files and printer.

In the /etc/samba/smb.conf file I had a few things like:

    security = share

    [d]
        path = /mnt/d
        public = yes
        only guest = yes
        writable = yes
        printable = no

But when I access it thru my other computer (Windows), I can run everything
and look at everything, just not modify/delete/create things. I'm guessing
that this is because I'm actually sharing a Windows partition (on my Linux
computer) using Samba. So basically I'm using Windows to access a Windows
hard disk that's mounted in Linux and shared by Samba.

I've noticed that the permission of /mnt/d allows everything except write
permission to "world" ie. permission mode 755. I can't change manually the
permission mode to 777 so I'm guessing (again) that I need to set something
in the mount or /etc/fstab file.

So ultimately, it comes down to...."How do I mount Windows partitions on my
Linux machine so that it is "read/write"-table by everyone? ie. permission
mode 777?? I've tried the "user", "users", "rw" options and everything else
but can only get write permission for owner, group but not "world" or
"others".

Hope somebody can help.

Cheers,
Evan