[plug] Samba Issues

Steve Vertigan vertigan at bigfoot.com
Sun Dec 17 01:22:41 WST 2000

Evan Lau wrote:

> So ultimately, it comes down to...."How do I mount Windows partitions on my
> Linux machine so that it is "read/write"-table by everyone? ie. permission
> mode 777?? I've tried the "user", "users", "rw" options and everything else
> but can only get write permission for owner, group but not "world" or
> "others".

I've never tried this with samba but do you have a line in your smb.conf like
guest account = nobody
If so then why not mount your D drive as owned by user nobody?  This what I
have in my /etc/fstab for my windows partition
/dev/hda1  /mnt/win_c  vfat  uid=1001,quiet  0 0
1001 is the uid of the user I normally operate as so this allows that user to
have write permission to the partition, if you replace that with the uid of
your user nobody then samba *should* let you modify files on it.
The other alternative would be to mount it as owned by an actual user then
make a samba share availible to that user only and make sure you're logged
into windows as that user.  But this would require user-level security instead
of share-level which I note you've currently got.

Regards,
Steve

--
FreeBSD maestro.dhis.org 3.4-STABLE i386
 1:05AM  up 3 days, 12:59, 2 users, load averages: 0.02, 0.03, 0.00